Tuesday 24 March 2015

PPP: BUSINESS CARD RESEARCH

When considering business cards I had started a collection of different types of business cards from the end of year shows at LCA and people from other creative fields.







I decided to analyse all these different cards to see how people presented themselves, the colour pallettes and printing process the used.







Overview

The majority of the cards that I had collected had really distinctive design features in regards to they way in which they displayed their information. Instead of writing telephone numbers they would generically use +44 (0) to break up the number which is something I will consider with my design.

They also would use a minimal type and colour palette so that the design wasn't overcrowded, which was another thing I will consider. In regards to print processes there was a lot of embossing, duplexing and spot varnish which creates a hand crafted element to the designs and makes it more interesting to touch and feel.

I think looking at the designs primarily gave me an insight into what I can achieve and the different outcomes I could produce.


I decided that I wanted to outsource the production of my business cards because I will need a high volume and I want them to be all consistent and with a nice finish. This will save me a lot of time and will keep my branding consistent and professional.


Stockist Research



































































From the list of websites I researched into, MOO seems the most reliable for various different print finishes and stock. For my branding this is something I can definitely consider, also vista print is good for price so I could get a mixture to see the outcome.

I then contacted a representative from MOO about the letter press designs about letterpress designs.




Unfortunately these were unavailable, so I decided to keep these distributors in mind but research further into other letter press business cards.




I contacted Blush to see if they could cater to what I wanted and will look forward to hearing back from them with a quote.
















I contacted Print Project to see if they could cater to what I wanted and will look forward to hearing back from them with a quote.

In looking further into letterpress some of these prices are a bit out of my range, my only other option would be to make them myself, however again my crafting skills are not great! This will be something I can consider but now I have an array of websites and alternative ways I can produce my cards.

Overview

From my further research these are the following finishing option I will consider.

  • Standard Matt
  • Letter Press - Embossed
  • Duplex by Moo
  • Self Directed
In researching into external places for print I found that it was really expensive and the options where limited, however if my self directed attempt at the business cards goes wrong I now have a multitude of other options!

No comments:

Post a Comment