Thursday 19 March 2015

YCN WHISTLES: EVALUATION

Overview

The YCN Whistles brief has been an alternative and exciting brief to have completed, although having an interest in Fashion the majority of my briefs this year have been music directed so it was nice to engage in another passion of mine. As a collaborative brief, I felt that myself and Jasper worked really well together and came up with some good concepts and deliverables for the brief.

What skills have you developed through this brief and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

For this brief I took on a Art Direction role as well as a Graphic Design role and was really beneficial in me seeing how I can work in both roles and also enhancing my abilities in each of these sectors.

What approaches / methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

Doing a cross - course collaboration with Oscar and Elliot allowed our work to be a success and  I think was a really beneficial aspect of the brief in regards to the production of the work. Using people that have experience and knowledge within that field know the capabilities and limitations with your ideas so this helped us create work efficiently. I also think using materials such as vinyl and the laser cutter was alternative methods for this brief, we took on a hands approach apposed to mocking it up which definitely gave more visual depth to our work and outcomes.

What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

The strengths within this brief that I can identify are the time and people management,  I was able to book the correct facilities and direct people in the photoshoot to ensure that we had everything we needed. I also think my skills in type, image and composition also came into play for this brief with my proposed campaign posters ideas and web presence. 

Also the concept development and research into the project heightened my knowledge of the brand and the context of the brief which was perfume. This enabled myself and Jasper consider all aspects of how to tackle the brief from the bottles to even fragrance sticks.

What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

I think the only downfall of this brief was our packaging and crafting, with this not going to plan we chose not to submit this, but will be something myself and Jasper could push further if we have time to add to our portfolio.

Identify things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

On reflection, we completed the brief in just under 2 weeks, so it would have been nice to see what we created if we had more time, however with the time we did have we did create a lot of outcomes at a professional standard which I am pleased about.



Also to develop my skills in crafting and packaging, I know this is not one of my strengths and could be a process I work on developing further if I come into this process in future briefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment