Wednesday 1 April 2015

PPP: LOGO

From my research into personal branding, I decided to work on some thumbnail designs on potential logo designs.

Thumbnails


With the idea of wanting it to be a mix between fashion editorial with an essence of music culture I tried to experiment with a range of typefaces that worked with serif and san serif qualities.






For my first set of designs I started to create full name logo designs, taking inspiration from the Acne branding. I really loves the thick weight of their logo that made a statement, which is something I would like to transfer in my design.





I then started to experiment with some name initial logo designs working with the 'JF' to create some seamless design that would flow from one letterform to another.





Finally I had a general experimentation, playing around with both initial full name logo's. From my thumbnails I had a lot of designs to consider and with me not being the best at hand written type I decided to transfer a selection of initial thumbnail sketches digitally.


Serif Developments


With the fashion editorial aesthetic in mind, I started to experiment with some serif type faces, again developing both initial full name logo's. The digital PDF documents my development and design considerations.






Final 
Serif






From the developments this design stood out to me the most as it had the perfect blend of fashion editorial with the rounded edges of music notes. The end counter points also looked like apostrophes which are also used within my name and thought it was the perfect blend of who I am and what I am about. I also experimented the height of the type to reference the layout of sheet music moving up the ' 'by 20 px.


Sans Serif Developments

I also decided to follow the same process using a san serif font for further development to test out further possible outcomes.which again is detailed in the PDF.







Final San Serif




From the developments this design stood out to me the most, I really liked the fluidity of the 'JF' and the type arrangement looks life two notes on a music sheet. However in comparison to the serif logo this logo didn't really reflect how I wanted to represent myself as a designer and I didn't feel like it encapsulated me enough.


Refinements









With the serif finalisation I decided to experiment with it further because I felt it could be altered more to suite to fusion of music and fashion and also I wanted to stray away from simply using a pre-made typeface and make my own logotype. I did this through chopping and refining the shape of the letterforms and changing counter points to fit in more with a musical aesthetic taking influence from half tones in sheet music.



Final








Through the refinements I cam to choose this final logo design as it the serif font represents a fashion editorial aesthetic that I wanted, with music being represented through the positioning of the letterforms and circular points, influenced by the layout of sheet music. 

The logo is simplified so it can be transferred across a range of media and materials which is considered throughout my design practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment