Monday 14 April 2014

END OF MODULE EVALUATION: OUGD503 - RESPONSIVE


The responsive module has been a new and challenging experience, as a designer I have been able to challenge myself by working in a multitude of graphic design areas that has helped me expand my skills and knowledge. Working with clients and  keeping up with deadlines has been a challenging but successful process throughout the module and I felt that it has allowed me to grow as designer. Entering international competitions has been a really exciting prospect as this is  something I have never done before and getting work out to people outside of university. The responsive module has given me a glimpse into what life could possibly be like after graduation and also has built my awareness on the importance of reading briefs and meeting their requirements.

Throughout the module I have identified my areas of strength which are based around branding and identity and editorial and layout. From the people I have worked with and my final design outcomes the majority of work I have done has been based within these fields of design. I also think I have developed my crafting skills in this module and found other strengths that I can capitalise on in the future such as packaging and promotion and digital design such as apps and blogs. Something I have also realised during the course of this module is the selection of briefs I have chosen, which are down to what my personal interests are, who I am as a person and what inspires me. I have chosen a lot of music and fashion based briefs which are industries I would like to work in, in the future and hopefully work my way up to an art direction role.
In this module I think I have really excelled in regards to collaborating with other creatives. I have worked with people on my course, in other courses, universities and other professional fields such as make up artists, business owners, poets, musicians, events management companies, models and videographers. In doing this I think it has broadened my brief outcomes and has really benefited me as a designer in making future contacts to work with. I have also really enjoyed working with a multitude of different creatives because they have a different perspective on things compared to myself and have opened my eyes to new ways of design or have taught me some invaluable skills.

In doing these briefs I have also been able to identify the areas I need to work on for improvement, some of the briefs I have done, I felt I could have done more in-depth research into more contemporary design and target audience information. However the majority of work that I had received from clients, they had already proposed what they wanted specifically. I think by me not doing this some of my design work could have been pushed further.
I also think another area of improvement for me is to make sure I am meeting the briefs requirements, in regards to the secret 7 briefs I felt that I definitely could have pushed my concepts further and made stronger designs for the exhibition, but with balancing all of my other work I found my concepts very quickly and ran with them. On the other hand with the Oasis brief I really pushed my concepts and wanted to create something that was quite challenging and different to what anyone else would think of creating. I think in both of these briefs I have learnt not to over work myself but also not to under work myself, and this is something that I am learning as a designer and trying to find a good balance between the two. With these areas of improvement now brought to my attention I think this will definitely help me develop as a designer when it comes to concepts and time management and this will be an on-going investigation during my time on this course.

Overall the responsive module has been a big learning experience for myself not only as a designer but also as an individual. I have learnt about the importance of being weary on who you work with because they can’t always be reliable. I’ve learnt that you can’t always design things that you like and that there has to be a balance between yourself and your client. I have also learnt that you should only take on projects that you can handle and make sure you design them to the best of your ability, and most of all I have learnt that I need to be more positive about myself as a designer. I felt that I have achieved a lot of things and learnt a lot of lessons in these 9 briefs I have chosen and will continue to keep up my hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment