Friday 21 February 2014

PPP 2: MANCHESTER STUDIO VISITS

During the week, Andrea from third year wanted to visit some studio's in Manchester for her final year and I offered to go with her as i'm from there and know my way around. 

I thought by doing these visit's with Andrea I would get some first hand experience on how to approach studio's and create some connections. There was a list of design studio's that she wanted to visit so we created a map of the closest and worked our way around.

The first studio we went to was Glorious and I went straight into the studio and asked if they were available to talk. Unfortunately the studio was really busy and that we should contact them at a later date. 

I felt a little scared from doing this and said to Andrea that we should phone the rest of the agencies before we walk in. I thought that by doing what I did in the first place that I might create a bad name for myself or just been seen as really rude. After contacting all of Andrea's listed agencies they all replied that they were busy and that we would have to email before we came to the studio.

Andrea wanted me to contact the majority of the agencies by the phone as I felt more confident in doing that. However when I had what I was going to say in my head it all seemed to go away when I spoke to someone, which I thought was quite funny. So I know this is something I have to work on.

Although today was not successful in visiting studios and speaking to working professionals, I did learn a valuable lesson from today and that is to contact agencies before meeting them, being clear on why I want to visit them and not to get disheartened or scared if there are any rejections thrown my way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment