Wednesday 15 January 2014

END OF MODULE EVALUATION: OUGD504 - DESIGN PRODUCTION

1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

Over the course of the module I feel I have really applied myself by expanding my knowledge about the different print processes and graphic design as a whole. In my studio development time I went to inductions and practiced these methods which included foiling, laser cut, embossing, screen printing, book binding and photography.

With obtaining these skills, I felt that I have applied them appropriately and effectively although I did face some trial and error along the way.

I have also spent a lot of time doing primary research weather it be through visits to studio’s, galleries and contacting businesses for samples. I think this has also developed my approach to my designs as I feel I am more knowledgeable but about the subject.

I have also learnt a lot about website design, this is something I have always wanted to experiment with and have tried to propose in previous briefs. I feel with the knowledge I’ve obtained through workshops and off my own accord that I have developed the work to the best of my availability and can create a standard working website.



2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?


The approaches and methods of design production I have developed is how to use a multitude of processes affectively. I have definitely spent a lot of time in this module experimenting with laser cut and screen printing which is something I feel really confident within. 

I also feel the concept workshops and the idea brainstorms have contributed to the production of my work as it has made me expand my idea’s and consider things I would never usually think about. For example the meaning behind colours, the audience wants and needs and so on.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I think the strengths I can identify in my work is the concepts and development behind them. I felt that instead of thinking of one thing and running with it I constantly questioned myself why it is appropriate. This has enabled me to create some strong ideas and improved the outcome of my work.

I also think the final aesthetic of my work has drastically improved from the year before. I have started to take into consideration colour, stock types and font choices and have taken care of my work a lot more. 

I think I have also build a lot of confidence as a designer, I think by putting myself down or comparing myself to others is not good for me, so I will keep a positive attitude. I have also spent a lot of time speaking to other course tutors and having a an urge to learn more about what can do to better my work. I feel like I have had a lot of determination and dedication to finish my designs to a good standard.


4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

A weakness of mine in this module I think was my concept boards, I feel like I could of developed them a lot further and is something I am deffiantely going to revisit.

Time management has been both a strength and weakness of mine on all 3 modules, I feel like I spent a lot of time on certain projects, than others which can be seen by the standard of my work.

I think I also need to not take on to many things at once, in my progress crit I expressed to loraine I had a job with a 24hour contract. By having this job I fell behind on my work quite a bit. However I thought about my priorities and quit my job close to the end of the module which is something I wish I had done earlier.


5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

Keep a consistent balance of blogging and practical work. I felt I was achieving a lot in the first brief but when the other modules were being proposed I started to fall behind - Myself and my housemates have organised blogging nights and if they fail to do them they will be punished! 

Not to dwell to much on a design, I spent a lot of time experimenting on the first module which is a good thing, but at the same time I wasted a lot of time. I think I should make my decision quicker which benefit the process of my work.

I think I lack consistency in some parts of my work like my annotations and my design, in the next module I want to be able to keep up a higher level of this to make sure I can progress further.

Although I did a lot of development I think I could have produced evern more outcomes to experiment with for print and web, I think this is down to the fact I had left it a little bit late.
I think I need to take more care with spelling I have made a lot of errors with this in my work in this module. Even though I took the time to proof ready my work, I think I need to make other people read it to make sure it makes sense.




No comments:

Post a Comment